Sunday, April 13, 2008

Numbers Don't Lie

I went to get my auto emissions test on Saturday. The guy at the testing station looked at my ten year old Honda CRV and said:
"Do you like this car?"
"I love it, " I said
"Yeah, everyone who comes in with one says the same thing -- they love it; reliable, comfortable."
"I've had it for about 6 years, and it's never broken down." (I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that, I thought.)
"It's all you need, he said. "Put a lot of money into a new car and drive it for a little while. Before you know all you have is an old car like everybody else."

I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and I've been stressing about it. Generally, birthdays don't bother me, but this one is eating at me a bit. I always tell people a birthday is just a number, and that I've never really wanted to be a younger age. These days though, the gray hair and the balding head are harder and harder to ignore. I distracted myself today with a big moment in my Honda's life:


I noticed that I was very close to having my odometer turn over on the way to my emissions test. I promised myself I was going to see the event. On a winding road on the way to church I watched very carefully ... 99,999 ... then 100,000! How ridiculous would it be if I ran it a ditch or a mailbox because I was looking at my odometer turn to 6 digits? I pulled into the first side street I could to take a photo. Then I drove to church.

My odometer now reads 100008. Car doesn't feel any different than it did at 98,000 or 99,000. Same old reliable vehicle. Maybe 100,000 is just a number.

1 comment:

Sarah J. said...

Congrats! You know that these days 100,000 miles isn't such a big deal. In fact, the way they make Hondas, I'm sure the CRV will hit 200,000, if you want it to. Likewise, turning forty should be cause to celebrate, but Paully, you're a lot like your Honda. There's PLENTY of miles left as long as you keep up with the oil changes.