Saturday, July 26, 2008

¡Viva El Sal del Tocino!


My friends know that I consider eating to be one of the ultimate joys of life. As I get older I find myself becoming slightly more discriminating about what I eat, but generally, as a former girlfriend once said, I have the palate of a golden retriever. As a non-conventional eater who hasn't seen his abs since the 6th grade, I have my own food pyramid: beer, bacon, cheese and lard. Admittedly, cardiologists might not endorse my diet, but I have a great uncle who lived till almost 90 who drank a chocolate milkshake every day of his life. And of all the four groups, bacon is my favorite. I think if I had six months to live I would eat bacon at every meal. (Consequently, I would then have three months to live, by I digress.) A good friend of mine from college, known as Johnny K, swore that all the bad publicity about bacon being bad for you was a lie, a lie perpetrated by people trying to hoard all the yummy bacon. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I cannot incorporate bacon into every meal. One problem is that I never buy bacon in the grocery store. Hence, having bacon-ey deliciousness generally has to wait for restaurants -- until now. Although I have not gotten my hands on a bottle yet, I have discovered a product called "bacon salt" that purports to make everything taste like bacon. I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it. If it even approaches the tastiness of that salad bar favorite, the baco-bit, I will be ecstatic. In fact, it gets me to thinking about all the wonderful possibilities. There is a bar here in Atlanta that serves a drink called the "Dean Martini," a martini that comes with one lucky strike cigarette. In that vein, any Atlanta bar willing to make its margaritas with bacon salt will become an instant sensation. God bless the food industry that their tasty artificial flavors!

No comments: