Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We Have Very Simple Needs

One thing that has taken some getting used to returning to New York is using public transportation. There are very few times in life you're required to get as physically close to a complete stranger as when you're jammed onto a subway car. Today I had the good fortune of being jammed next to a very pretty, tall 20-something young woman who was reading on the train. Now I see this every day, so it's not unusual, but I noticed that she was going to great pains to fold her book over so that the cover would not be visible. She would carefully turn each page, folding it back, keeping the cover and the spine of the book completely hidden. Intrigued, I glanced over to see what the offending title was. Now what is so embarassing about reading He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys? Honestly, I don't think we're that hard to understand. Men have very simple needs, but I'd never criticize somebody for trying to get a little education.

No comments: