Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Men Never Ask for Directions

I went to the subway tonight to go home. I had stayed two hours later than usual at the office and was dead tired. I began the long walk down the corridor at W. 3rd Street to the train platform when I saw there was a train waiting in the station so I ran down the ramp and watched as the express train on my left and the local train on my right closed their doors and pulled out of the station without me. I missed two trains by seconds. Rather than get ticked off, I listened to our house piano player and another train was in the station is about five minutes. I stepped onto the uptown local and a woman, who must have been mentally ill or just didn't care anymore, in about the most shrill voice I've ever heard, began shouting "DOES THIS TRAIN GO TO 86th Street?!!!!" The people on the train looked at each other bewildered, but did not respond. Again, she shouted, in tone that was hurting dogs somewhere, "DOES THIS TRAIN GO TO 86th Street?!!!!" I then heard muttering and someone must have said something to her because she stopped shouting.

In case you're wondering, no, that train did not go to 86th Street.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the woman have a duck on her head? The piano player - seems as though there's a good story there.

Anonymous said...

Did the woman have a duck on her head? Now the piano player - must be a good story there somewhere.