Monday, July 6, 2009

My West Coast Trip Highlight #6: Sea Lions

Beautiful Day on San Francisco Bay within View of Alcatraz


I only got to spend a day-and-a-half in San Francisco, but I enjoyed it immensely. We had extraordinarily good weather. (I even managed to get a sunburn in Oakland watching the ballgame, and I'm told that's only possible about 10 days a year.) Now since I live about two blocks from Times Square, usually I go out of my way to avoid touristy areas, but I had to see the Sea Lions down near Fisherman's Wharf. Showing up on a Saturday, it probably couldn't have been much more crowded, but it was well worth it. Since the earthquakes in 1989, sea lions have taken up residence near Pier 39, and now they're a major attraction. (See video below.)




We stayed in a great place near Chinatown, had fancy cocktails at the Fairmont Hotel, and ate at some great restaurants, but watching these guys snoozing on the pier was my favorite part of my visit. My next vacation is definitely going to involve more time just snoozing in the sun.

No comments: