Monday, September 21, 2009

Little Hidden Gems

I probably don't have to tell you that one of the biggest adjustments to living here has been the sky high cost of living. You know that feeling when you go on vacation and it feels like you're eating out at every meal and spending a fortune on your accommodations? Imagine feeling that way all the time .... I am fortunate to have a good grocery store just a half a block away, but it is a tad upscale and way expensive for me. I feel like there should be a guy standing behind a glass counter saying, "may I show you something in a box of cereal?"

One of the reasons I look forward to the weekends living in Manhattan is that I can just go walking and explore. It is interesting what you will stumble upon. Imagine my delight when I discovered Stile's Farmers Market just a few blocks from my house. Covered by a tent in the corner of a parking lot, you could easily walk by it and never give it a second thought. I wandered in one day and found amazingly cheap produce, eggs, bagels, fresh bread and even some interesting packaged foods. I now go there every Saturday morning and stock up for the week. If you're in the neighborhood you should stop by. The cashiers moisten the tips of their fingers (so they can count out the cash more easily) by dabbing their fingers on a freshly cut cucumber. I've never seen that before!

No comments: