Monday, August 4, 2008

A Genuine Loss for the ATL

I was sincerely saddened to hear that Braves' broadcaster Skip Caray had passed away yesterday. Honestly, the guy's style drove me crazy. I don't think anyone would dispute that he had become very curmudgeonly in the last few years -- probably because of his declining health. But even in earlier years, the guy was just grumpy. I remember listening to a Braves game against the Mets at Shea Stadium in New York. Caray just railed against the New York fans at every opportunity, beginning with their cheering during the national anthem. Admittedly, if I had to spend more than fifteen minutes in Shea Stadium, I would be grouchy too, but the New Yorker in me was offended. (Author Joe Queenan once described Shea Stadium not just as the worst sports arena in North America, but the worst place, period.) Despite the fact that Skip drove me crazy, he was part of what made Atlanta Atlanta. He was a signature voice in a city that is just too generic sometimes. A couple of years ago, Chip Caray, Skip's son, came over from the Cubs to do the Braves games. As hokey as it sounds, I thought it was really nice that when they did the games together, Chip unashamedly called his partner "Dad" during the games. I am so glad that they got to work together. I'm sure Chip is wishing today he could call a few more games with his Dad.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I thought it was nice that they prayed for Skip during the intentions for the dead at mass on Sunday.