Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's the Principle of the Thing

I went to dinner at Ted Turner's restaurant the other night, Ted's Montana Grill. Ted's is a medium tier steakhouse, satisfies a meat and potatoes craving, and is generally pretty good. I had a delicious artery-clogging cheeseburger. The restaurant is actually quite popular -- we had to wait about a half hour for a table at the chain's Decatur, Georgia location. Deciding not to wait with all the poor schlubs at the front door, we went to have a drink in the bar. After buying a couple of beers, my $11 in change came back as a five-dollar bill and three two-dollar bills. Having spent some time working in restaurants myself, I generally consider myself a decent tipper. I think it's appropriate to leave a dollar if I just bought two four-dollar beers. But the beertender threw me a curve on Saturday night. By giving me my change in two dollar bills, she was basically manipulating me into leaving a two-dollar tip when I would have otherwise left a one-dollar tip. Now this would not have even been an issue if I have had had a one-dollar bill on me, but I didn't. It also wouldn't have been an issue if we had bought a second round -- then I would have gladly dropped the two dollar bill. Or if I had a better paying job. It definitely wouldn't be an issue if I had a better paying job.

But I think there is something more insidious at work here. Now we all know the federal reserve or the treasury department did not just leave a truck load of two-dollar bills at Ted's that they have suddenly had to unload. This is all an elaborate trick to make me spend more money than I want to, and Ted's is not alone. Apparently, lots of people are now giving change in two dollar bills. When we went to the baseball game the other night, we received change in one-dollar coins when buying train tickets. Next time I am going to leave a tip using dollar coins -- I can play this odd currency game! Or even better: I'll buy four beers next time. A two-dollar tip for four beers seems perfectly reasonable. Or should I leave three dollars? Maybe I'm overthinking this. Next time I will use a credit card. I'll sleep better.

1 comment:

Sarah J. said...

Perhaps you should accrue your collection of $1 presidential coins, then leave specific presidents depending on the type of service. This would allow you to flex that History PhD
and be an ass. Imagine saying to your next bartender: "I'm leaving you a James K. Polk because you were 'pokey' with my drink order, and I'd expect you to secure Oregon Territory. Have a nice evening and don't die of cholera." It's an inventive way to turn every tip into a learning moment.