Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Olympics, W, and Cris Colinsworth's Knee

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics. Is there anything that qualifies as pure hype than the opening ceremonies? At least the Superbowl halftime show is designed so you can go relieve yourself and then get snacks. I think they actually want you to watch the opening ceremonies. Nevertheless, I have been watching some of the Olympics. A friend of mine and I were watching beach volleyball the other day. The announcers were talking in such rhapsodic terms about volleyball players Kerri Walsh and Misty May I thought I was going to be sick. And not that little mini-throwup you get sometimes when you get a little bile in the back of your throat, this was full on wanting to vomit. I mean I respect their athletic prowess, but it's beach volleyball for pete's sake. One announcer called them the Larry Bird and Magic Johnson of volleyball. Now can you imagine how ridiculous it would sound if someone called Larry Bird and Magic Johnson the Kerri Walsh and Misty May of basketball? I have actually heard some feminist types defending these women saying no one will ever take a sport seriously when the players are running around in bikinis. (I once went through a charity bikini car wash in Worcester, Massachusetts sort of involuntarily. I had trouble taking that seriously too. Despite their impractical attire, they did a heck of a job on my friend's car, I must say.) Can you imagine Larry Bird and Magic Johnson running around in bikinis? Those super short '70s basketball shorts were bad enough.

As an aside, I think it was nice that President Bush went to China to cheer on our athletes. And no, I don't think that it sends a message that we are condoning their poor human rights record. It's having our economies inextricably intertwined that shows that we condone their human rights abuses. But did the President have to go practice volleyball with Walsh and May? Has he completely given up on being taken seriously or having any gravitas at all? Are his handlers busy sending out their resumes and trying to figure out ways to expunge the fact that they've been working for W? Now that I think about it, these are the same people who allowed him to be photographed falling off a segway. The leader of the free world should not be shown stumbling around trying to play volleyball badly. On second thought, maybe we should just keep him distracted and he'll get into less trouble.

I guess what bothers me about the Olympics coverage is that the clowns at NBC don't seem to think that the sporting event speaks for itself. They have to go behind the scenes and give us these insipid human interest stories. Last night I had to hear Cris Colinsworth talking about how Michael Phelps' mother was squeezing his knee during a race they were watching together: "All I could think was whose knee are you squeezing when I'm not here?" he asked while I began to wretch. When that blather stopped, I got to actually watch Michael Phelps swim. He won. He's very good. I think he's the Michael Phelps of swimming.

1 comment:

Ca said...

After the 2004 summer olympics, my husband commented to me that he hoped this year NBC would "report on the sport" rather than telecasting a "made-for-tv-olympics". We really didn't need to watch the "soap opera" story behind every athlete to encourage us to route for them. For some reason the commentators also feel they have to fill the air at all times. I have actually muted the tv during the gymnastics so that I can enjoy watching the routines and avoid listening to what seems to be endless chatter. We can see that the gymnast has "bobbled" on the beam. We don't need everything explained to us!