Friday, November 28, 2008

I Had to Get Up at 5:30am, but It Was Worth It

I know the euphoria caused by moving back to New York is going to wear off one of these days, but in the meantime, I'm going to revel in it all. When I got the chance to go with my family to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I jumped at the chance. I was prepared to stand on the sidewalk for a few hours and tough it out with the other 2.5 million parade goers, but I got a pleasant surprise. As Dave (a guy we met who was watching the parade next to us) said, to get stuff in New York, you gotta know someone. Well, my brother in law knew someone and we got into a VIP section for parade viewing. The weather was nice, the parade was festive and hanging out with the family was just fun. I know hard boiled New Yorkers never go to these touristy things, but you really take them for granted when you don't live here. It was nice watching the parade without the canned blather I usually hear on TV. Hmmmmm ... I wonder what's next? Watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve in Times Square? Well, I doubt it. Unless of course, my brother in law knows somebody.

Here are a few photos:


This is one of my favorite photos because we started the day in a McDonald's on Eighth Avenue and there were some comely Pilgrim girls sitting next to us having McGriddles -- and there they are around the bottom of the turkey!

Hannah Montana was a special, unexpected bonus.


To infinity and beyond!

Although it's hard to tell from this photo, Santa was very exuberant. He would wave enthusiastically at the crowd while standing and then sort of collapse back into his seat.

No comments: