Thursday, December 4, 2008

Undergrad Speak


I found myself in an elevator this morning a two undergrads got on, a tall thin man, and short woman with wavy hair speaking a mile a minute.

She turned to the man and said, "... Yes, I have to go to the library -- slash -- I really need to eat something."

So I wondered, was she talking to this guy in some sort of instant messaging language: "I have to go to the library/I really need to eat something," or was her companion named Slash: "I have to go to the library, Slash. I really need to eat something"?

It remains a mystery to me.


1 comment:

Sarah J. said...

I'm not sure if this is undergrad speak so much as it's speaking influenced by new modes of tech-mediated communication. There's a book called, Against the Machine, that speculates on this a little. Here's the premise.

"Of course the Internet is not one thing or another; if anything, its boosters claim, the Web is everything at once. It’s become not only our primary medium for communication and information but also the place we go to shop, to play, to debate, to find love. Our ever-deepening immersion in life online doesn’t just reshape the ordinary rhythms of our days; it also reshapes our minds and culture, in ways with which we haven’t yet reckoned."

Not sure if this helps you reach a resolution, but it's something to think about. ;)