Friday, December 5, 2008

Something's Not Quite Right


I had lunch today at Freshco Burrito Taco on Sullivan Street around the corner from my office. It's a super cheap open kitchen take out Mexican restuarant catering to students. The food is nothing to write home about (or blog about for that matter) but is no better or worse than corporate-owned Chipotle. I had the chicken soft taco, of course (not pictured here -- Paullyblog lacks a staff photographer).

As I sat there, I began to get the feeling something was just not quite right. First of all, all of the staff was Asian, including the guy working in the kitchen. I'd never been in a Mexican restaurant where I might speak more Spanish than anyone else in the place. Secondly, it was set up like every Chinese takeout place I'd ever been to in NY -- pictures of the food on the menu over the counter and all. Then I started to think, well, maybe they're Phillipino or something -- hispano/Asian fusion? Then my eyes fell on something I had overlooked before -- a giant Buddah sitting on the countertop. I have a serious suspicion that this place was serving Moi Goo Gai Pan and General Tso's chicken not long ago, before the market demanded cheap tacos.

Years ago during law school, the local Mexican restaurant shut down. A few weeks later I saw the cook from the Mexican place working happily in front of a wok in the Chinese open kitchen at the strip mall next to Food Lion. I was amused at the time to see a Hispanic guy working in a Chinese restaurant. After today's experience, I guess what goes around comes around. God bless our melting pot.

No comments: