Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Afternoon Just Slightly South of Manhattan

This afternoon I made an excursion with a friend to Governor's Island out in New York Harbor. For many years this was a Coast Guard and military base, and just recently it's been turned over to the national park service. To get out to the island there is a free ferry and it doesn't take 15 minutes to get there -- and it's pretty much security-free unlike the nightmare screening you have to go through to get to Ellis Island or Liberty Island. The island has bike trails, art exhibits, great picnic grounds and even a little entertainment venue complete with a sandy beach, DJ and booze, Water Taxi Beach. Today there was even a Civil War reenactment going on. The amazing views from Island make it a very worthwhile stop: from the Statue of Liberty to the Manhattan Skyline to the East River Bridges to Brooklyn and the Verrazano Narrows. I'd love to share these views with you, but of course, I forgot my camera. (I include a couple of snapshots from my phone.) There was one weird thing. At a certain point on the island there was this eerie female singing going on over the loudspeakers. My friend swore she heard them sing about the devil but I cannot confirm that. Despite that, I highly recommend a visit.

Downtown Manhattan as Seen from Governor's Island

Civil War Reenactors [?!] -- (They're Everywhere!)

No comments: