Monday, August 10, 2009

Yeah, But Do They Have Cheesy Breadsticks?

One thing you notice living in Manhattan is the piles of takeout menus that end up on your doorstep. There are so many restaurants within a few blocks of my house I have never felt the need to order delivery takeout. (Maybe that will change in winter.) That's not true of the lady who lives at the bottom of the stairs on the second floor in my building. The delivery guy happened to be at her door for my dog's Friday evening and Saturday morning walks. Now that I think of it, maybe she's got something going with the delivery guy... but I digress. The main reason I haven't ordered food in is because the intercom in my apartment doesn't work, so I can't buzz the guy in when he gets to the building. I collect the menus anyway. We get menus for Chinese food, pizza, burgers, everything you can imagine. New York is an interesting food town. You actually can get any kind of food you want.

I thought I had seen a menu for every type of cuisine, but the other day I found one I never thought I'd see: Ariana's Afghan Restaurant. Most places I've lived I had a choice between Pizza Hut and Papa John's. Here I get to choose between Afghan or Bangladeshi.

And then the same day, when I thought I had seen everything in the menu department, I got the takeout menu from John's Shanghai Chinese restaurant (in the mail!) ... in Chinese.

Although I find all this interesting, the avalanche of menus is annoying litter to most people. Next time you're in New York, maybe you'll understand why this sign is posted everywhere.

No comments: