Wednesday, December 16, 2009

God Says Break a Leg

One of the things I love about New York is the interesting and historic churches that are all over town. I gone to mass in at least 8 or 10 different churches since I've moved back and they're all interesting. The church I go to most often is just a block away from my apartment towards Times Square and the theater district. St. Malachy's is known as "the Actor's Chapel" since it counts the Broadway show people in its flock. I love the fact that they have services Saturday night at 11pm to work around the schedule of people who work in the theater. Every week we pray for out of work actors and support people.

Tonight I was walking up Eighth Avenue and I heard the chimes playing at St. Malachy's. I listened to try to make out the tune among all the different noises coming from the street. Was the church playing some traditional church tune? A Christmas Carol in honor of the season? No, the tune from the church tower was "There's No Business Like Show Business." As they say, only in New York.

No comments: