Sunday, December 13, 2009

Shakin' Hands with the Governor


I was invited by a friend to a Democratic Party holiday party earlier this week. I had a very strange conversation with a man from the Veteran's Affairs office in New Jersey who had had way too much holiday cheer and seemed to think I worked for the City Council. It was quite an eclectic crowd and full house due to a scheduled visit by our (very unpopular) "accidental" governor David Patterson. He made an appearance and made a few funny remarks. It occurred to me that I wish he wasn't universally viewed as ineffective and weak -- he's carrying a 79% disapproval rating these days -- because he is a genuinely humorous guy and I like him. It made me think about his remarks after Fred Armisen did his hilarious impression of him on Saturday Night Live which portrayed him as a drug user who stumbles all over the set. The governor, who is legally blind, was highly critical of the sketch, because he considered it demeaning to the visually impaired. I am certain, as the governor of one of the biggest state's in the country, he needed to take that stand publicly, but something tells me that behind closed doors he had to be laughing, at least a little bit.


As it turns out the funniest remark of the night at the party belonged to councilman John Liu who was just elected Comptroller and is the first Asian to hold a citywide office in New York City. After he was introduced as such, he said, "I don't know what the big deal is. I've been Asian my whole life."

No comments: