Friday, February 20, 2009

Big Man on Campus ... er, Not So Much?

I got an email from a friend of mine this morning who told me her mother overheard my name in Union Square when a student -- presumably from my school -- said that he or she had to go see me. (Yes, students do get "sent" to my office from time to time.) I sort of like the idea of being known around school.

The other night a law student approached me on West 3rd Street and said, "Aren't you the supervisor of the Journals?" This was cool, I said to myself -- the students are flagging me down on the sidewalk to talk to me now. This must be important, I thought:

Student: "You gotta see this guy across the street [in Ben's Pizzeria]."
Paul: "Who?"
Student: "See the guy with the hat with feather and the full length mink coat?"
Paul: "Oh yeah."
Student: "Have you ever seen someone so totally pimped out in your whole life?!"

Well, it was nice she recognized me anyway.

No comments: