Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Westcoast Trip: Highlight #2 -- Mount Ranier

The first time I saw the Grand Canyon, my mouth just dropped open and I knew what it meant when people say a sight "takes their breath away." Almost equally impressive was the view from the Paradise Lodge at Mount Ranier National Park.



Mount Ranier peaks at around 13,000 feet, and we were only at about 5,000, but standing in the snow in July watching the snowboarders and cross country skiers was amazing.


At a lower elevation we were able to walk along a waterflow from a glacier. Just standing near the water my fingers went numb. (I could do a colder-than-some-of-the-women-in-my-life remark but I'm better than that.) It was truly one of those once in a lifetime lifetime experiences.


The Big Tasty and I stayed at a little inn near the park run by a very nice wacky couple. (I will pass along the name upon request.) If you ever go, remember to ask Michelle about the time the bear got into the bird feeders. We had breakfast with the other guests in the morning and met a nice pair of retired female English teachers who were traveling together (and loved the hot-tub, apparently) and a bewildered looking Danish couple who arrived in U.S. with no hotel reservations. We wished them luck and hoped that they would not be sleeping in their rental car outside of Yellowstone.

No comments: